Monday, May 4, 2009

I salute the wonderful women and men of Singapore for standing up for AWARE.

This week, I can finally say that I am proud to be Singaporean.

For years now, Singaporeans have struggled with the perception that we are a bunch of spineless, apathetic cowards who have nothing to contribute to civic society. The thousands of you who turned up at the AWARE EGM to voice your opinions -- both in favour of and also against the "Old Guard" of AWARE - proved our detractors wrong. You cared enough about civic society to turn up and to make your presence count. Thank you.

I am also deeply heartened by the overwhelming vindication of my belief that Singaporeans still retain a sense of decency and fair-play. I am heartened that we are prepared to stand up against those who employ corporate bullying tactics against a bunch of trusting women. I am heartened that we will speak out against those who try to steal and distort the achievements of quiet women who have worked tirelessly to improve the lives of many Singaporeans. I am moved that you will act to protect the neutrality and independence of counselling and social work services that exist to help those of us most in need. Your moral compass is switched on. And you were prepared to act on your consciences.

Thank you.

Don't ever let anyone tell you to:
"Shut up and sit down"

And please please let Dr Thio Su Mein know whenever you bump into her in Singapore that she is not and will never be our "feminist mentor".

I salute the wonderful women and men of Singapore from all walks of life who made a difference on Saturday. You are feminists and mentors to us all. This post is for you.

No comments: